The Goods Line
The Goods Line urban renewal project opens up a new pedestrian and cycle network from Railway Square and Ultimo to Darling Harbour. It also set new benchmarks for public domain, having won an Australian Award for Urban Design 2014.
It is a great new public space for pop-up events, invigorating and bringing new activity into the precinct.
The Goods Line North is a stage of a larger project. The next stage will be to redesign The Goods Line South, which runs from Ultimo Road rail underbridge through to Railway Square. In total, the northern and southern sections will be approximately 500 metres long. To reach The Goods Line from Central Station take the Devonshire Street Tunnel and follow the signs for UTS. Pass beneath George Street and continue to Ultimo Road.
Activation Proposals for The Goods Line
In the interest of activating effectively and respecting the fabric of design overlay, green space and the importance of The Goods Line as a connectivity corridor, SHFA administers the proposals submission process for activations and manages The Goods Line event calendar. Activation Proposals received will need to respond to The Goods Line Activation Pillars in order to be assessed by the Foreshore Authority.
Milestones achieved by the Authority:
- Dec 2011: Appointed the Principal Consultant, ASPECT Studios
- Feb 2012: Workshop held with key stakeholders
- Jun 2012: Community Open Days held
- Dec 2012: Lodged a Development Application with City of Sydney
- Mar 2013: Development Application approved
- Apr 2013: Value Management Workshop
- Oct 2013: Tender advertised for the Principal Contractor
- Mar 2014: Appointed the Principal Contractor, Gartner Rose
- Jul 2014: Bridge Works Deed executed between SHFA and Sydney Trains, allowing works on the Ultimo Road rail underbridge
- Aug 2014: Piling completed
- Oct 2014: First precast concrete planks installed
- Feb 2015: Opened the forecourt to UTS’s Chau Chak Wing building
- Mar 2015: Began construction on the heritage listed and state significant Ultimo Road rail underbridge
- Apr 2015: Mary Ann Street heritage culvert completed
- May 2015: Darling Drive stairs opened
- Aug 2015: The Goods Line North opens – see media release
Last update: Thursday 29 October 2015