The Goods Line
The Goods Line urban renewal project opens up a new pedestrian and cycle network from Railway Square and Ultimo to Darling Harbour. It also set new benchmarks for public domain, having won an Australian Award for Urban Design 2014.
It is a great new public space for pop-up events, invigorating and bringing new activity into the precinct.
The Goods Line North, which opens on Sunday 30 August, is a stage of a larger project. The next stage will be to redesign The Goods Line South, which runs from Ultimo Road rail underbridge through to Railway Square. In total, the northern and southern sections will be approximately 500 metres long.
Milestones achieved by the Authority:
- Dec 2011: Appointed the Principal Consultant, ASPECT Studios
- Feb 2012: Workshop held with key stakeholders
- Jun 2012: Community Open Days held
- Dec 2012: Lodged a Development Application with City of Sydney
- Mar 2013: Development Application approved
- Apr 2013: Value Management Workshop
- Oct 2013: Tender advertised for the Principal Contractor
- Mar 2014: Appointed the Principal Contractor, Gartner Rose
- Jul 2014: Bridge Works Deed executed between SHFA and Sydney Trains, allowing works on the Ultimo Road rail underbridge
- Aug 2014: Piling completed
- Oct 2014: First precast concrete planks installed
- Feb 2015: Opened the forecourt to UTS’s Chau Chak Wing building
- Mar 2015: Began construction on the heritage listed and state significant Ultimo Road rail underbridge
- Apr 2015: Mary Ann Street heritage culvert completed
- May 2015: Darling Drive stairs opened
- Aug 2015: The Goods Line North opens
Last update: Thursday 27 August 2015